Table of Contents
Address: 191011, St. Petersburg, pl. Lomonosova, 1
Telephone: (812) 110-44-76; Fax: (812) 110-42-45
Website: http://www.gov.spb.ru/gov/admin/otrasl/c_govcontrol (Committee for State Control, Use, and Preservation of Monuments of History and Culture)
Hours: WF 9:00-13:00
Chairman of the Committee: Nikita Igorevich Iavein (tel. 315-43-03)
Head of the Archive: Iuliia Ivanovna Kashaverskaia (tel. 110-44-76)
Established in 1944, the Administration of the State Inspectorate for the Preservation of Monuments is a successor to the first state agency for preservation of monuments—the Department on Museums and Preservation of Monuments of the People's Commissariat of Education of the Union of Communes of the Northern Oblast, which was established in Petrograd in March 1918.
The archive houses records regarding the creation, reconstruction, restoration, and technical conditions of historical and cultural monuments of St. Petersburg and its environs, from the eighteenth through the twentieth centuries. There are historico-scientific materials, drawings, photographs, and design cost-estimates.
The archive has a number of personal fonds of historians, architects, and art critics who studied the history of St. Petersburg culture. The fond of photographs contains negatives and positives of facades and interiors of architectural monuments of the city and oblast, as well as those of Novgorod, Pskov, and other Russian cities.
Requests for access for research purposes should be addressed in writing to the Chief of the Administration with indication of the subject and aim of the research.